Test Administrator Resources for Summative Assessments
These resources support administration of the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments and California Science Tests (CAST).
CAASPP Online Test Administration Manual—Select this link to expand or collapse the list of downloadable options. (Posted 02/04/20)
- Online Test Administration Manual for CAASPP Testing—Entire manual (Posted 02/04/20)
- Chapter 1. CAASPP Testing Overview (Posted 02/04/20)
- Chapter 2. Test Administration Resources (Posted 02/04/20)
- Chapter 3. Test Security (Posted 02/04/20)
- Chapter 4. Administration Preparation and Planning (Posted 02/04/20)
- Chapter 5. Science Assessments (Posted 02/04/20)
- Chapter 6. California Spanish Assessment (Posted 02/04/20)
- Chapter 7. Using the Test Administrator Interface with Summative Assessments (Posted 02/04/20)
- Chapter 8. Scripts for Administering Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments and the California Science Test (Posted 02/04/20)
- Chapter 9. Scripts for Administering the California Spanish Assessment (Posted 02/04/20)
- Chapter 10. Overview of the Student Testing Application (Posted 02/04/20)
- Chapter 11. Appendices (Posted 02/04/20)
Calculator Availability and Sample Calculators
Certain sections of the Smarter Balanced Online Assessments for Mathematics for grades six through eight and grade 11, the Smarter Balanced summative mathematics assessments are divided into two sections: Calculator Available and Calculator Not Available.
- Grades three through five: No calculator used for on-screen Smarter Balanced assessment
- Grade six: Four-function Calculator
- Grades seven and eight: Scientific Calculator
- High school/grade eleven: Graphing Calculator
- Smarter Balanced Translated Test Directions (non-embedded)
- CAST Translated Test Directions (non-embedded)
- Multiplication Table (Updated 09/08/20)
A non-embedded accommodation (mathematics) only for students with an individualized education program (IEP) or Section 504 plan.
- 100s Number Table
A non-embedded accommodation (mathematics) only for students with an IEP or Section 504 plan only in grades four through eight and grade eleven.
- The CAST field tests for grades eight and high school include a periodic table and reference sheets that students access during online testing as universal tools. These grade-level reference materials may be accessed to print and use as non-embedded designated supports for the CAST; there is no requirement to use these materials in the classroom. These reference tools are not meant to guide instruction. See the Printing Enlarged Science Reference Tools quick start guide if the student requires a science reference tool to be enlarged and printed on 11x17 paper by the test administrator.
- Periodic Table of the Elements for Grade Eight and High School
- Grade Eight Reference Sheet (Updated 11/18/19)
- High School Reference Sheet (Updated 11/18/19)
Test Administrator Instructions
- Quick Reference Guide—How to Start a Test Session (Posted 03/28/17)
- Test Administrator Checklist (Posted 02/04/20)
- Instructions for Using Embedded Glossaries
- Smarter Balanced Guidelines for Read Aloud, Test Reader
- Scribing Protocol for Smarter Balanced Assessments
For resources supporting administration of the California Alternate Assessments:
See the California Alternate Assessments web page.
Last Reviewed: Monday, June 8, 2020